11 Dec 2014

Review: Sacrifice by Brigid Kemmerer

Sacrifice (Elemental #5) by Brigid Kemmerer
September 24th, 2014 · Allen & Unwin
Source: Publisher
Format: Paperback
Page Count: 267

Earth. Fire. Air. Water.

One misstep and they lose it all. For the last time.

Michael Merrick understands pressure. He's the only parent his three brothers have had for years. His power to control Earth could kill someone if he miscalculates. Now an Elemental Guide has it in for his family, and he's all that stands in the way.

His girlfriend, Hannah, understands pressure too. She's got a child of her own, and a job as a firefighter that could put her life in danger at any moment.

But there are people who have had enough of Michael's defiance, his family's 'bad luck'. Before he knows it, Michael's enemies have turned into the Merricks' enemies, and they're armed for war.

They're not interested in surrender. But Michael isn't the white flag type anyway. Everything is set for the final showdown.

Four elements, one family. Will they hold together, or be torn apart? 

Even with a title like Sacrifice, I was looking forward to reading it. I’ve thoroughly enjoyed the Elemental series and even though I didn’t necessarily want it to end, I was looking forward to see how it would wrap up. It’s not often I come across a series that delivers which each book - yet this series did just that. Sacrifice was no different.

I love Michael, but if you’ve read the series, you’ll well know he’s a rather mysterious character. I was glad we finally got to hear from his POV in Sacrifice, along with Hannah, his maybe-kinda girlfriend. Both are older characters, in the twenties, but it still felt like a YA; it worked and the voice never felt out of place.

I love how fast paced and action packed this instalment was, right from the get go. So much so, that while every book played an important part in the series, it was like it was all leading to this book; to this fight.

The only fault I had was with the ending, which I felt was rushed and anti-climatic. When the “sacrifice” part of the novel takes place, I just found it wasn’t as powerful a punch as it probably should have been. Sacrifice wrapped having tied loose ends, but it also felt a little too open-ended, considering it’s the last book in the series. It’s disappointing we won’t be getting another book, but I was pretty happy with how it ended. And hey, positive thinking - now it's open if the author ever decides to continue the series. All in all, it was a kick-ass ending and closed on a bang, and that’s how it should be. Because kick-ass and banging? That pretty much sums up this series.

4/5

Have you read Sacrifice? Were you happy with the ending? No spoilers (!), but what did you think of the "sacrifice"? Are you excited for the authors next book releasing 2015, Thicker than Water?

6 comments:

  1. I agree, Rebecca! I wish that the ending wrapped up the series better because it didn't feel like a series ender to me at all :|

    Lovely review, girl! <33

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Mel! I've heard the author might be considering to continue the series, so maybe this isn't the end.

      Delete
  2. Sacrifice was a HUGE letdown for me. :( Michael's my favorite and I couldn't wait to finally read his story. ...the whole thing felt rushed - especially the ending!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry Sacrifice disappointed you. I get why you said it was rushed. It was very go go go! I think that wasn't a problem for me because I got wrapped up in the action. The author is considering another book in the series. This might not be the end!

      Delete
  3. Thanks for a spoiler free review Rebecca, I haven't read past book one so it was really appreciated <3

    This is the only one that I've actually been wanting to read, in Storm I really liked Michael's character. It sounded as though it should have packed a bit more of a punch, seeing the climax was pretty disappointing. Do you think it might have been a case of the author wanting to be done with the series so work on her new release? I'll have to add book two to my summer reading list and continue on with the series.

    Wonderful review Rebecca <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kelly and you're welcome! It was easy not to spoil this one.

      No, I don't think the author was rushing to finish the book, at least not to work on her upcoming release. She was on deadline and pregnant writing Sacrifice and in the acknowledgements, said she's never have written it without the support from her family, publisher, ect. So it obviously a hard book for her to write. I thought she did a good job.

      I hope you enjoy the series.

      Delete